Monday, October 25, 2010

Sorry No video.

I am trying to upload the videos, but it takes well over two hours to upload a 2 minute video. It’s worth it though, my filming is not the best but to witness the welcome that me and father received is something I need to share. It has begun to rain frequently. The rains come and go and many of the systems produce lightening. That does not keep us from achieving our goals each day. Today’s goal was to make progress on the soccer field. We did, but our progress was slowed by whomever stole the four bamboo markers that I used Saturday. People steal things here, that’s just the way it is. The bamboo did not appear to have any value at all but it must have to someone cause it was long gone this morning. This frustrated me. Another thing that is frustrating is the disregard for private property. People walk right through the orphanage and there is little we can do about it. They take the path of least resistance, right through the middle of my soccer field. That’s going to change soon though, I have a plan. Anway’s, I was rather frustrated with the theft. Father and I discussed the situation and decided that reinforcing the markers with concrete is the only effective way to avoid theft. It seemed extravagant at first, but then we realized that our defense could serve as flag holders on the field’s corners. We used bamboo poles to create holes in the concrete and then pulled them out before it had fully hardened. I got lots of help from the staff and the villagers. People are all happy to help, but they all want something from me. Mainly sunglasses. I guess word got out that there is a few extra pairs in my suitcase (under lock and key) and everyone is trying their best to get their hands on them. We shall see. The field measures 80 x 115 yards, very large. I don’t believe I had mentioned this earlier in the week but while I was playing soccer with the children a few days ago I stubbed my toe on a stump. A stump that protrudes from the ground in the middle of the common area. Today I took an axe to it and all of its friends. There are no more stumps in the orphanage and a lot more firewood. The day was cloudy, but somehow I managed to get sunburned. Sun is a lot more intense here by the equator. The day was fun and productive. There is a crew working to build bricks for the Henkelman Dining Hall. Unlike the states gathering the hardware needed for building is as hard if not harder than building itself. I had two highlights today. No, it wasn’t being served caterpillars for the 6th day in a row. I pumped up a football and gave it to the children to play with. I told them what it was, American Football, and they excitedly agreed anxious to play with the new ball. I guess they thought it was a basketball which I assume they have never seen either cause they tried to dribble with it. Needless to say it didn’t work out to well for them. I watched as they tried to figure out what’s its use was and then after about twenty minutes of Father and I laughing I made one boy go long and through him a pass. Tomorrow we will work on the mechanics of throwing something I am thankful I learned early in life. Highlight number two. Don’t freak mom, but Father let me drive the Land Cruiser. The land cruiser is a manual, four wheel drive, safari looking, V8, with crummy shocks and two large bench seats behind both the passenger and driver seats. Its pretty awesome. Anyways Father originally let me drive it off the orphanage property with the agreement that he would take over when we got to the main road. Father didn’t think I could drive a clutch. I took off and flew down the off road trails as I always have with every truck I ever owned. This was fine for me. It wasn’t fine for the seven passengers seated behind Father and I, including three of the female teachers from the orphanage. We were bouncing, jumping and banging all over the place for the first five minutes and then one of them became upset and convinced father to convince me to slow down. I don’t know what all the fuss was about I had been sitting in the back during the last 6 trips. I continued over hills, catching glimpse’s of the Congo River on every hill we crested, beautiful. After driving through some shanty town and using the vehicles horn to shoo people out of the way I made it to that one main crazy road that I mentioned earlier in my posts. Father was on the phone, so I pulled out onto the drag, slightly apprehensive (but you should have seen my passengers). I started heading back and 26 potholes, 2 near pedestrian encounters and one luckily avoided accident later I made it back here to the mission. It’s like Nascar just way cooler. I think I earned my stripes. I witnessed chapel at the convent. The Passionists sing prayers for a half hour just before we eat and the sound fills every hall and open space of the premise. It’s incredible. They also do the same thing before bed(awaiting). Well that’s my day and a glimpse at my life here in the Congo. I could live here. Why not 20 acres of rainforest sells for 4,000 dollars. Might get sick of caterpillars though. Tomorrow we are back to the orphanage and then we journey far east to check status of the Pasionist tractor. No trailers here. If that thing is running you drive it right down the road to where you need to get it.

Over and out

4 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I really enjoyed reading the blog and hearing all of your adventures! My family and I went to Congo with Gabi a couple of years ago! It is an eye opening experience to say the least!
I am curious which convent you are staying at?
I am enjoying seeing the familiar faces in the pictures! They are so beautiful!! If you meet Asnet, please give her a REALLY big hug from me! I am wondering if she is still wearing the necklace my son Christian gave her? It was a shell and rasta colors on a black chord? I believe her sister is Sarah and she has a brother there too! Last year Gabi came back with a picture of her wearing it! :)
I am glad to hear the soccer field is getting cleared...that is HARD work!!! I know my son and nephew got several cuts on that field too, playing in their barefeet like the kids were!
You and Gabi will be in my prayers! Thank you for the beautiful work you are doing...being the hands of God to those sweet children!

Matt Cory said...

James,
Thanks for all the great posts and pics. You're doing a great job.
The Cory's

James said...

Thankyou to all of you who have posted. I am happy to hear feedback and what you think of the experience i am having. Thankyou for the prayers i certainly see and feel them. Elisabeth, I read the blog of your trip before mine. It was very helpful in preparing me for this experience. I will get back too you on Asnet, i know she is there but cant tell you if that necklas is with her or not. Dr. Cory thanks for that video camera. i have captured some great stuff (the children, the city and the countryside).

Unknown said...

Hello! Thanks for putting a smile on my face with your blog & stories.I am sending prayers & good enery to you. I did missionary work in the past and I know how it feels. God Bless you for the amazing work your are doing for others, but the rewards you get in return are priceless...

Please say Hello to Fr. Gabriel & that I am praying for him & the mission...

~Andrea (the chilean girl)