Sunday, October 24, 2010

Jubilee Day

Today we awoke very early to drive across town. We headed towards the regions diaseis St Christoper Catholic Church. they celebrated there 50th anniversary. We arrived an hour early to secure good seats. We sat near the front. i was quite a spectacle, the only white person there, until a Colombian brother came in. The mass was beautiful. There was lots of singing and dancing. Enough to last three and a half hours. No A/C, Power went out towards the end and all the fans stopped spinning. It was hot. people were still very happy though. I took lots of video and will post it tomorrow along with many other videos. After the Mass there was a celebration. More music, dancing, a buffet and socializing. The music here is incredible, its not just bongos and whistles. It sounds a lot like Caribbean music. I met many English speaking people from Kenya. They say there is no war in the country, Congo. It is made up by the media. The East is peaceful. That is where the minerals are... People treat me so good. First cause i am white with curly hair. But when they find out i am an American they become particularly kind. they bring me to the front of the Buffet line. They introduce me to the senate members. they bring me cold drinks (which is a luxury here) they are very happy to have me here and they show it. I cant believe there are not more Americans here. They love my hair. As i walk through crowds people reach out and run their fingers through it. I was dancing and some girl came up behind me, and started dancing with me, with her hands in my hair. Dont get that kind of attention in America. Sunday is a day to rest and celebrate the lord. For this reason we didnt go to the orphanage. Tomorrow we will go early and work all day. Took lots of photos but i am low on battery and it takes about 20 minutes to upload each photo. Hope Florida and the rest of America is Swell. Bon soir

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear James,
You AMAZE me! We are truly blessed to be "sharing" your experience. Thank you for the beautiful letter you sent Uncle Michael and me. I will keep and cherish it forever. Remember to take care of yourself; rest, hydration and more caterpillars!
Love you,
Aunt Lori

Anonymous said...

Hi James,
I ran to my computer as soon as I awoke this morning to read your next blog. I am so enthralled with what you are doing, and as I read your account of your past 4 days I was so moved. I am so proud of you, I even envy you a little just wishing I could be there to witness some of the joy you describe in these humble people. Don't we here all have a lot to learn?
Keep us posted; I am with you every day in mind and spirit, and I am praying for your safety and success.
Love,
Aunt Carolyn

Anonymous said...

James,
Sounds like you are on an unbelievable experience that you will cherish the rest of your life. Keep up the good spirits and make us all proud. Even in the Congo they love the Studiale hair- unbelievable!
Richard aND Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Love the Blog. Keep the info coming.
Dean & Katherine Sandifer

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.