Friday, October 29, 2010

I am frustrated. But rather than whine about things that will likely change I will paint a clearer picture of the setting.

The Street

As I mentioned earlier there is only one main road traveling through the heart of the city. I think it heads from north to south but since I cant get my Google Earth up and running there is no telling. There are many other roads, but they are not true roads, but rather the space left between buildings just big enough for two vehicles to pass by one another. That’s not to say there is any two way traffic. The average speed when traveling these roads is about 2 miles per hour. These roads are lined with street vendors selling everything from cigarettes, to beer, to uncooked meats (no refrigeration and loaded with flies). You must slow to avoid splashing the vendors when traveling through the numerous lake like puddles that are present in these alley ways. Besides the vendors the streets are absolutely loaded with people. Here having a functioning horn is as important as having head lights. Pity, ours took a dump today. There is trash along both the alley ways and the main road. Lots of trash. It looks like a hurricane passed through the city of Lakeland landfill and sent all the trash directly to the roads. That’s what happens when you don’t have a landfill in your city (Kinshasa). Pothole is the name of the game here and your ability to dodge them determines whether you are a winner or a loser. For the most part I feel that I am on the losing side, but for the most part I aint the one driving. The main road is pretty much the most terrible thing you can imagine as far as public transportation. But it works. Have not seen an accident yet. But I will say when I came in the first night from the airport I was pretty damn near scared. Barrel fires glow on each side of the road. Street vendors jump out at each lull and try to sell you the strangest stuff ever, one of which is tissues. The pollution is so bad on this road that the ride to and fro the orphanage literally wipes me out. I must sit idle for a half hour once I arrive at my destination. The roads suck in American standards but they are definitely one of the unique features of this city.

The Convent

The convent is an oasis surrounded by the streets that I just described. Outside the convent all the trees are cut and gone. The homes are more like tin roof sheds that my dad would have me tear down if it were in my backyard in Lakeland. The sounds of people crying, motorbikes accelerating, dogs barking and drums banging can be heard in just a minute of listening. There is a lot going on out there. And when I say out there I mean one inch beyond the perimeter of this fortress. I cant see over the 10 foot wall but like everything else in this city there are no hedge barriers, or lawn easements separating you from your neighbor. Space is limited and the inhabitants of this town utilize every square centimeter of it. The top of the fence is lined with barbed wire and certain areas have broken glass bottles cemented to the top, pretty clever. But if someone wanted to get in here it would take half a brain two legs and at least one arm. I could get over it in a minute. Now that’s not to scare you. As I mentioned I am bigger than most everyone in this city (people ask me if I am from the WWF…flattering). But the reality is these people are too poor to afford a serious knife, let alone a gun. So hand to hand I think I and the rest of you beefy Americans are sitting pretty. The premise is loaded with fruit trees. How Loaded? I have heard four Mangos crash against the roof of my building since I began writing this. There are coconuts, avocados, mangos, giant star fruit papayas, and five other fruits I have yet to identify. Not only are there plants but there are pigs, a dozen of these turkey/chicken like birds, chickens, rabbits, 3 dogs and one cat, and a bunch of mice to keep that cat employed. There are two, two story buildings on site, one is composed of the kitchen the chapel, the recreational area, the laundry, a computer room and several other rooms that are for meetings and what not. The second building houses the guests the priests (passionists) and the students/seminarians. There is a tall gate which controls the coming and going of traffic. The seminarians are responsible for opening and closing it. When you pull in to the locked gate you beep your horn several times but since our horn has failed we must ring the bell. As I mentioned it is located right in the take off path of the airport. When that UN jet flies over (biggest plane I ever seen) it feels as though a vacuum is sucking the brains out of your head through your ears. The UN plane flies about 8 times a day and once at 6:30am. There are cars, motorcycles and a tractor which arrived today… anxious to find out what for. There are two gazeboes for prayer and reflection. I have another use for them. The showers are always cold, I don’t think there is a hot water heater. There is a toilet room which houses all the toilets in the convent, two plus one urinal. That’s ok though aint waited in line yet. The water is inconsistent. Took a shower from a bucket that I have been filling up in my shower after each bath. Hope I didn’t pee in it. The showers are in the room along with a vanity and dresser. I got a fan finally but there is no A/C and there are mosquito nets draped over each bed. There is a school with a beautiful campus bordering one side of the convent. It is run by the nuns.

The Orphanage

The orphanage is a beautiful place. There are large hills surrounding it with views of distant mountains to the east. There is a neat little creek that flows through one corner of the acreage. There are many buildings on the premise. There is a school, a dining area, a seminarian housing area, a staff housing area, a priest housing building, a chapel, a few sheds and miscellaneous buildings and the dormitory which houses the children. There is a fun little gazebo with a concrete floor smack in the middle which acts as the gathering and social spot. You must travel down a long dirt road to get there, but you are not far from the neighbors when you arrive. You can see shanty homes littering the surrounding hills. The air is fresher out there and the fruiting trees are numerous as can be. There must be 20 giant mango trees on the property. Also avocados palms and lemons and once again a few I don’t know. The ground there is hard and dry but good for bare feet. Much better now that I removed the stumps and many glass pieces. There is running water, but only from one spicket by the outdoor kitchen. There is one generator that I have only seen used twice. The children are well adapted to maneuvering and playing in the dark. There is a large soccer field right beside the entrance, owned by the passionists, but it is to sandy for a good soccer field. I tore my foot up playing on it bare foot today. Behind the buildings from the entrance is a 4o foot tall raised hill. On top of this hill is where I am busy erecting both a soccer field and volleyball court. Not much erecting going on more flattening and manicuring. There is a little beach by the creek which I described earlier in my postings. Did see a fight there today. Watched a 10 year old clock another 10 year old solid, as a bunch of the locals cheered them on. I walked across the creek and through both of them in the river. Only fights I like to see are the ones I am a part of. Don’t worry they were not our boys, but I told our boys who witnessed the fight that that’s not the way to behave.

Well that about it. Time for bed.

2 comments:

Katherine S. said...

That was a fantastic description. Sounds like the city is a crazy place! I am so glad that the children are away from all of that. Like your mom said, take care of yourself and keep up the good work. We love you! Katherine S.

Anonymous said...

James,
Woke up early and reviewed the old blogs and comments. Had missed most of the communication/posts. I guess this is a good teaching tool for your old man. You have always had that creative writing style among your gifts---What a thrill to hear from you on this amazing journey.
I am now fully engaged and giving a few friends the card that says "Join me in the Congo". Great diversion from work [bullet trains n silly things] to be able to travel with you. Keep it up, every post is great, I love the way you paint the picture.
We are all well and enjoying fall and are often thinking and praying for your good work with Gabriel and for each of you.
Dad