Saturday, October 23, 2010


I am exhausted so ill make this as brief as possible. Began the day with a loud jet flying overhead. The convent is directly in the take off lane at the airport and the planes are not much more than three hundred feet above our heads. I nearly jumped out of bed when I heard it. This lead to an early breakfast with the seminarians. Read a book as I waited for Father Gabriel to awake, A Land Remembered (Thanks Aunt Geri). Took a tour of the school which is next door to the convent. Did not take pictures but wish I had, I will get another opportunity too. The school is advanced. The children have internet. They teach sowing and secretarial classes. Unlike America they teach you things that are actually useful (that’s not to say I didn’t get a great education, just can’t do much with it). The children also have flat screen computers, did not expect that in Africa. Caterpillars continue to follow me. Ate them twice more today. They are damn good though, got a little kick to em. Drove to the orphanage. Bridge is out, took a detour, more like safari, did not think we were going the right way for about half an hour. The roads here are very different from those in the USA, in that they don’t make any logical sense at all. We arrived, started on the soccer field. Received help from the children, they are difficult to control but happy to be a part of anything and everything I do. Checked out some fish ponds. They told me there were no fish in the ponds, but after walking their perimeters I quickly proved them wrong. Wish I brought a pole or net, lots of Oscars and tilapia. Experienced a unique fishing technique, involving the damning and draining of a wetland via shovel and bucket. Effective though. Got my first taste of a Congolian Thunderstorm. Storm Flooded the city. The water was moving down the road fast enough that I would have worn a life preserver had I tackled it in my canoe. No drainage systems in place. Wish I brought my canoe. Have not seen any rapids, but every creek moves quick. Visited family of Father Gaberial. Talked with Congolese boy who spoke a bit of English. He says I am like a n******* in the Congo, I am the only white person in the city, thus far. Kinshasa has a population of 10,000,000 plus, and there is only one road. And it is no bigger/wider than Florida Avenue. Its sheer madness. I like it though. Sat down to right this, drank beers and liquor with seminarians, only because its Saturday. They love Bob Marley, Shakira and of course Michael Jackson. He is somewhat of a hero/idol here. Then I told them all that he was dead and then that he was a suspected child molester. We played card games on the board and on this computer. Took picture. Father Gabriel is frustrated with the poor internet connection. Tomorrow is a party/jubilee. I plan to party and represent USA, Florida, Polk County well. Therefore you probably will not here from me tomorrow. I have no complaints, nice cool evening after rain. And thank the lord my prayers were answered, the rain killed the power to the surrounding community and I will fall asleep to crickets rather than MJ. Peace and Love to All

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi James,
It's so great to be able to keep up with you and follow your trip this way. Please check your email so we can talk some more.
Miss you and love you Mom

Dee M. said...

Are the caterpillars crunchy or slimey?

James said...

The Caterpillars are crunchy, and spicy.