Thursday, October 21, 2010

First full day in the DRC





Wow!!! I wont sugar coat it, the city of Kinsasha is more like a landfill than a town. There is trash everywhere, the people eat, drink, sleep, buy, trade and sell amongst it. Though they exist among such deplorable conditions, their spirits are high. They laugh, they play, they sing, they dance and they are always happy to accommodate me as a guest. The plane ride was long but interesting. I saw the dramatic shift in culture and language as i jumped from one airport to the next. I met several other English speaking people traveling to Africa to aid those in need. The arrival was exciting, everyone rushing to get off the plane, and once i got to the baggage claim i realized why. The bag claim was a mad house, full of those receiving bags and those trying to make a buck helping those travelers with their bags. We were worried when it seemed all the bags had been unloaded and we had only received 6 of 15, but we received the rest during the final load. We had plenty of help, many of fathers friends and family were there to greet us and to assist. They had prepared a delicious meal for us which we ate quickly. I tried to make a post, but i only slept an hour or two during our two day trip and was quickly frustrated and off to bed. At a later time i will discuss the place i am staying (it is very nice). The day began with breakfast and a trip to the city. Mind Blowing. They use the rivers as dumpsters. Young children approached us begging for food. Those who noticed me, a white person in the car called me an Asian. Few Americans could drive these roads without an accident. We visited Father Gabriel's sisters. They were very accommodating, cooking us a meal for the second time in less than 24 hours. We then hurried to the orphanage. We left the densely populated city and entered a rural community, very near to the Congo River. We drove across a median, down a dirt road and than through a small farming area. We then reached a bridge that was damaged, stopped the truck and gathered the items we had put in our bag packs to bring to the children. I wish i had grabbed the camera sooner, cause as soon as i jumped out the back of the truck, what seemed like a hundred children were running and cheering towards us, they stopped at the other side of the bridge and the videos will show what happened next.

Well the video was suppose to show what happened next, but I am having trouble uploading it, I might try to post it onto youtube.com. at a later date.

We were greeted like Jesus was when he entered Jerusalem, with palms, singing and dancing. The children put a lot of work in to the celebration of our coming. They were very excited to see both Father and I. They encompassed us singing and dancing and walked us the beautiful quarter mile to the orphanage. When we arrived there was more song and dance, this time the staff greeted us, one member excitiedly brushing us with a bush as she danced to the rythem of the children singing and playing their drum. They prepared chairs in a large circle where we sat and watched, dozens of plays, skits and dances created by the children. These children are very talented, though I could not understand the French they speak I was very entertained by their movements and dramatizations. This carried on for another hour and then it was time to eat. The food here is different but very good. At this particular meal we were served a dish that contains dozens of caterpillar's. I ate them and they were delicious. The children then gave us a tour of the orphanage. they are very proud of what they have. There is a stable with pigs. there is a river that flows right along the back side of the orphanage. It is truly a beautiful setting. the air is much fresher out there than in the city. Now as i right this blog i can hear students learning and children signing just over the wall of the convent. it is a beautiful thing to awaken to. last night was the second night that i fell asleep to the sounds of Michael Jackson playing in the near distance. Au revoir

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what an experrience and as I knew you are well suited and prepared for it--happy catipillars!
We are so happy for you and the children, I love the reports of happy people.So glad you are able to blog and keep those of us who are living vicariously up to date.
Love Dad & Mom

B Murphy said...

Happy to hear of your safe arrival. Thank you for this blog - we at Our Saviours have you and Father Gabriel in our prayers. And the children!!!!
Beth and Greg Murphy

Katherine Sandifer said...

Awesome blog, James! I had tears in my eyes as I read it. It just confirms for me how important and appreciated is the work we are doing. My prayers are with you and Fr. Gabriel! K.Sandifer

Fran Vander Poel said...

James, as Katherine said what a great blog. It made me feel like I was there in person instead of just in prayer. I look forward to reading about your adventures. God Bless you, Fr. Gabriel and of course all of the children.
Fran Vander Poel

maureen said...

This so great to read and be a part of. James, I love the detailed
messages. Tell Father, he is not as
good as you are with details. It
sounds like the "trip" was a real
challange. I am so glad you decided
to go with Father. So, what do they
think of your curly hair? I mentioned it to you at the send off. Waiting to see Beni and his
gifts. All sponsers are probably
wondering about their children too.
It might be some what of a task though. The kids look great in their glasses

Maureen Crews said...

Just to clarify my previous message,I have been giving Fr. a
hard time for over two years so
my comment regarding him was one
I'm sure he is not suprized to read.

James, I know you are going to be so tired each day with all that you want and have to do. I so appreciate you touching base with us. I don't know where you find the
time to keep us updated. Again, your notes to us are so detailed
I can feel like I am connected and there. I watch for your blog every day. May God watch over you both. I pray the two of you have the time to accomplish what you have planned to do.

Maureen

Matt Cory said...

James,
Great blog. Maybe a future in writing? :) THanks for the details. Anxious to see the videos!