Friday, October 22, 2010

Day two. More Joy





Today is my second full day in the Congo. I didn’t mention this fact in my previous post, but when I landed at 11 o’clock at night the ground temperature was 92 degrees F. Hot. It is bearable though. The nights cool off just as I crawl into bed, and I have slept through the last two nights. Today we organized all of our bags and decided what gifts to bring to the orphanage and when to bring them. Father reminds me it is important not to dry the well of gifts early in our visit. The children are so gracious and appreciative to receive a piece of candy, that I just want to give them everything I brought with me at once. We decided that today we would bring them the sunglasses donated by Mr. Hall and Family as well as the fans donated by Mrs. Sandifer. The children became ecstatic when they saw that we were carrying seven bags with us. Among the bags were my tools, the gifts, athletic gear and a PA system donated by the Emmaus Group in Lakeland. The children were all thrilled with their sunglasses and the bits of candy they received. I took a photo with the boys and their shades as well as a photo with the girls and their fans. Bothe items were appreciated beyond description.

It seems as though the caterpillars are following father Gabriel and I. I have eaten them for a third time today. I was served three lunches and two of them consisted of deliciously prepared juvenile butterflies/moths. I cannot complain one bit about the accommodations. Tonight they offered me beer, and I assumed that everyone was going to enjoy one with me. Turned out that the fridge was empty, so they sent someone out in the street (scary) and they returned a half hour later with six beers, all of which were for me. I only drank a few Mom. I am living in a convent amongst a bunch of holy people who either are, or are training to become priests or holy people. So needless to say they do not do a lot of drinking… at least not publicly. The water continues to run, the power and internet are consistent and the music continues to play from behind the 10 foot perimeter wall. I am surrounded by fruit trees and exotic animals as I write this outside. The bugs are no worse than in Florida. It is truly a special place.

Tomorrow the labor begins. When I thought of erecting a soccer field originally I imagined building and framing two goals and tying a net to each. I wish it was that easy. I am going to have to flatten a football sized field that had been previously used for agriculture. I told father we must get a tractor, he is working on that as we speak but I am certain there is a lot of work ahead. There are buildings that need to be completed. I wish I had spent a little more time working with masonry back home but I will certainly improvise as I have in many instances before. I have great video which I am anxious to post and will as soon as the internet connection allows. I am working on my French, writing phrases down on a notepad. Most everyone speaks French or Lengala. Father Gabriel has his hands full with translation. Thank you for your prayers and support. Every contribution is going to bring unimaginable joy to each and every one of these children. I wish you could all be here to experience it. But then it wouldn’t be quite as daring of an adventure, so stay put and keep up with the blog. Thanks for your feedback. Michael Jackson is once again playing in the background. Bonne nuit.

3 comments:

Katherine S. said...

Thanks so much for the pictures with the fans! The RCS and SFC kids will love to see them, as well as my neighbors who helped decorate them. I know that you are feeling all of the love that the kids are pouring out to you. In many ways I am jealous! Love and prayers to all of you. Katherine
PS - The Michael Jackson music is hilarious. Maybe you can give them an upgrade!

Dee M. said...

God is using you James! Your energy and spirit are contagious! I'll be checking daily! I'm very proud of you!
Godspeed!
Dee

Unknown said...

I am thinking how you can level the field if no tractor, wondering if you can create a blade out of a log or large length of metal pulled behind two vehicles. I know it is harder than that. Let me know if we need to look at more basic methods of leveling a field like early farmers did. Good luck and sounds great keep the energy comming i will be following you each day. Love and prayers from your family. Dad