Monday, November 8, 2010











Two days have passed since my last post and some progress as well as excitement has occurred. I witnessed a small fight here at the orphanage between Clovis (aka Mubulu, trouble maker in Lengala) and a young girl whose name has slipped my memory at the moment. They were fighting over Football Congo which is the result of my inability to demonstrate American Football and giving them a pig skin. I tried to show them how to play, but all they picked up from my instruction, is that the ball is to be thrown rather than kicked, and you are supposed to push your opponent to the ground. Wish I had demonstrated two hand touch but I enjoy pushing these 30 lb children around too much. The fight ended when I threw the young man into the river. He was borderline out of control and took me right back to some of the temper tantrums I through as a young child. He was punished. Sent to bed early, and then left behind when the rest of the big children, I and some staff members drove out to the mountain. The mountain is somewhat of a religious Mecca. Actually that’s exactly what it is. People come from all over the region to pray and climb the 12 stations which conclude at the summit. It was founded by the Catholics which can be confirmed by the giant cross that is present on top. Not sure why it is so special but there were many people up there crying, singing, and rolling around on the ground in what I guess was some sort of religious fit. It was pretty awesome in regards to the panoramic view. I could see the River Congo, the plateau, the nearby mountain range and the city of Kinshasa. Jungle, dried river beds, and incredible rock formations surrounded the mountain. One rock formation looked particularly luring and I followed a path in its direction. The people here are very timid of heights and mountains for that matter. The kids are crowding around me as I type this listening to the Doors. I will put you on hold and get back to you about the path less traveled here in just a short bit. I got a soccer game to win….

Didn’t win the game and hurt my foot pretty bad. The game was scoreless until late in the second half when my bare foot collided with a kick from the one kid wearing cleats. The opposing team scored shortly after.There was a lot of cursing and thrashing around just like the old days. No one knows what the F word is so I don’t feel too bad. I am embarrassed to admit I shed tear or at least all the children are saying I did. When they saw this, they came to my rescue crowding around me and ignoring the game. They have treated me like a king since. They are crowded around me right now rubbing lotion on my foot and scratching my head as I write this. The game was very exciting. The children played the conga drum on the sideline as we played. The crowd just before half was bigger than any Santa Fe Catholic soccer game I was a part of. Most of the fans were cheering for us. We used some jerseys donated by the Watson Clinic. I am waiting till we brush up a bit to use the PowerScreen jerseys donated by the Grant Family. Our team is talented, far better than the opposing team, but there is no control, defenders trying to score unsuccessfully and the goalie rolling the ball to a defenseman who has two offenders in his zone. I try to offer some American insight, but without French or Languala it is useless. The game got real exciting when the first goal was scored in the second half. Too bad it was the opposing team, but each and every one of their fans stormed the field jumping in the air and flipping over and over like wild gymnasts. I thought it was pretty obnoxious but when we scored I enjoyed every bit of it. That might explain why everyone tries to score rather than pass they want that celebration to be in their honor, can’t half blame em. Well the game ended two to one and I cannot wait to put that kid that kicked me in his place next game. Any ways like I had left off earlier the kids are crowded round while I am playing them Bob Marley Legends. This time they smell bad though. It could be me, aint no showers out here, just a river that is only safe to swim in, in the morning (doesn’t stop me). Earlier I was speaking about the mountain and the path less traveled which I chose to take. The children hovered around the cross and engaged in long prayer. Long prayer is not my style, I tell the lord what I got to say and thank him for what I have and then I enjoy what he created. Father let me brake away and I took my translator George who has become a good friend and his little brother J.P. As soon as we got to the beginning of the aggressive trail J.P. bailed. George was reluctant but knew he would be in big trouble with Father if he let anything happen to me. It was a pretty sketchy trail, I slid about 10 feet on my butt just as it began. I continued and at one point the trail was about 28 inches wide with a 100 foot drop to the left and right. We walked the ridge until it became far to challenging to continue safely. Had my brother been there we would have certainly continued , I started fearing for George. We climbed up and out taking pictures along the way. We then raced down the mountain. I set the pace to show off my new capabilities after the Alaska trip. One thing I didn’t mention about the trip to the mountain is that the children sang the whole way there. They have memorized an infinite number of songs and hit me with a new one every day. Their voices are beautiful; I captured some of the drive on the video camera Dr. Cory gave me for the trip. Ill post it when I return. We celebrated mass today outside and free from the screechy guitars of the band (just bad equipment and rigging). Last night I drove to downtown Kinshasa where father Gabriel’ family lives and had prepared a large meal for us and many of his friends. I arrived and it was nearly as holy a place as the seminary I am living at with 5 catholic priests dinning together. There was one lawyer there, he evened things out. The meal was epic, the best caterpillars and Fofo I have eaten the whole trip. The caterpillars were particularly delicious. You all back home would be pleasantly surprised, good texture and taste. I am craving some American food. I would love to get my hands on a hamburger or fried grouper sandwich. But I am eating very well and don’t think I lost any weight yet, no scale. The drive to the dinner was the most stressful thing I have ever done. Between the pollution and the terrible drivers I called the roads of Kinshasa Hell and father agreed. If I am right then we all best behave cause driving in these circumstances hour after hour is nothing short of a living hell. Well my foot feels like it is going to sink into the sand. I hope it aint broken. Shoot me and it a prayer if you get the chance. This trip is like nothing I have ever imagined. The children give so much love it’s hard to tell them no. That’s the reason I ran out of candy today. But even without candy a simple high five is enough to put a day’s long smile on their faces. Wish you all could have seen the game tonight you would have enjoyed it. We are all very lucky to be born into America, so many people here want to go there but know that they likely never will. It’s another thing I have taken for granted and will no longer. Hope Florida State is tearing it up. I mentioned progress in the opening sentence so I better remain true to my thesis. We hung a 16 foot long board in the children’s recreational room. Its purpose is to give them a place to stick pictures of themselves and those who are supporting the orphanage from elsewhere. I hung two photos of the Sandifer family and will hang the Cory family’s picture if my foot still works tomorrow. We organized all the medical supplies. Noticed a lot of them were expired, do any doctors in the room know if expired ibuprofen is safe/effective? I have measured and staked out the volleyball court and the wholes are dug for the poles. I put together a basketball hoop today, minus the hoop which it looks like we will need to have custom made. Lots of things are custom made and home made here. A young girl has fallen asleep on my shoulder now (Asnet, not sure if that’s the correct spelling). I think many of you will want to take this trip (maybe not quite as long) once I return and post all the video. I am treated like royalty.

“After three days in the desert fun I was looking at a river bed, and the story it told of a river that flowed made me sad to think it was dead”

America

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

James!! What possessed you to shave your head?! I will guess it's a matter of identifying more with the locals.
Thank you for all the pictures.

Take care of yourself. We send our prayers and love.
Aunt Car

Elisabeth said...

James,
ASNET!!! Yay! She has such a beautiful and sweet spirit!
I think you need to wear shoes when you play! :)
Oh, on your last post you were talking about the trash. We addressed that when we were there too! They dug 2 large pits. One was for trash they could burn and the other was for trash that took a long time to decompose or would never decompose (like those cans).
I guess they aren't using them. That is too bad! Maybe you can get them back on track again. Asnet helped me collect trash for almost a whole day when I was there. It is a lot of work, but certainly safer for the kids!!
Take care!
God Bless,
Mama Elisabeth