Friday, November 12, 2010

Blzzzz Mosquito

The day was a success. Planted the volleyball poles and made more progress on the basketball hoop. The children were very enthusiastic this evening. They seem to be every time I pull out the camera. Before my tip here I thought drunken college girls were the ones who got most excited when a camera was present. Turns out I was wrong it’s the children of Africa. These kids would and will do anything it takes for me to take a photo of them. I used an entire memory card this afternoon. That’s over 350 pictures and 2 batteries. Most of the photos I just finished deleting, but some of them you will see in my next photo post. The kids are so full of energy. The children are very creative and unique. They are however sculpted by the media. There are maybe 5 quality movies in the bin at the orphanage. Four of them are Bruce Lee movies and one of them is a Michael Jackson concert compilation. These two Genres (for lack of a better word) have tailored the way the children behave when they goof off. They either do some wild Karate move or pull a Michael Jackson dance move which is very entertaining. If these children had been exposed to the quality and the volume of media and entertainment available in the United States who knows what they would do. Maybe good maybe not. Nature/Nurture. This trip is making me think about so many things from such a different perspective I love it.

Big day tomorrow. The Kingasani team (which is the convent at which I stay) Vs. the orphanage squad which is my team. Football/soccer. Coach Father Willy Vs Coach Father Gabriel. If that SOB hadn’t kicked me in the foot I would be on the orphan squad, but unless an act of god occurs over night it looks like ill be warmen the bench, or playing the conga. It should be an exciting game and will be followed by Volleyball which I will be participating in. Go team Orphan!! Mosquito's are tearing me up now as the rain falls for the second hour straight. I appreciate the rain, it makes the pollution settle and makes for a great view of both the river and mountains tomorrow.

No comments: