Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Long Weekend for me







Hello guys!

I hope you are keeping up well with the blog and being very patient wit me since I don't blog every day. Where are you comments/feedback? Big thanks to mama Elizabeth, mama Barbara and the other moms who posted their comments and sweet wishes for the kids and myself.
Things are going on as usual, with all the ups and downs. Amazing, I am staying strong, not getting sick,upbeat! Maybe when I get back... I get tired, exhausted a lot, but quickly recover and ready to run.
Yesterday was an interesting day on the road; in a 5 seat car, taxi drivers here manage to get two more people: four in the back and two for the front seat. I found myself in the middle of three ladies of quite significant body authority (translating from my local language; I am not comfortable with the English way in Enlgish!!!). I really looked tinny in the middle of these three ladies and had to really sacrifice lots of my space for them. I got quite intimidated and humbled, and kept quiet all the way; I missed my camera for such!
Before getting into the taxi for the second part of my trip to the orphanage, I wanted so bad to go for a short call; no public toilets here in Congo; mother nature pays a heavy price, we all pay. I had to try my luck; went to a small residential plot near the main road and asked if I could. I was asked to pay 100 Congo Frank. I begged and was shown a real "Good Lord" WC. Coming out, I had the money ready for the toilet toll. I even had to look for the gentleman. When I saw him, I looked at him right in the eyes and said Thank you so very much. He just said "de rien"(not at all/no problem) and went on doing what he was doing. I left with my little money and really felt like a double win/bingo. God bless him!
Don't worry! when you guys come, will make sure you have access to toilets and rest areas. If you choose so, we can elect portable toilets in the vehicles or get you to wear dippers; what do you think?
Betty is doing fine and you can see she is being carried by one of our new staff (Laurette); Laurette is one of our youngest staff members with a BA in Social work.
We're still wrestling with chicken pox and staying on top of the game.
My first engineering products: you can see in the picture, I designed a round table with local bamboos outside for the kids to have some of their meals right there, near the kicken. They are having breakfast or brunch, mixed rice donated by Feed my Starving Children (came in the container). I also designed that white water container for drinking water; I mean we bought the container and I asked a local plomber to insert a tab (??). Kids were so excited, happy. We launched the two products yesterday. I plan to get two more for drinking water and they can drink any time.
Water problem has been solved practically, we plan to buy an extra water thank or reservoir next week.
Tomorrow, I will be there for a staff meeting and working on some container items, especially medical and school supplies. I am plannng to be there with them from tomorrow to Sunday; there is a play they have put together for me and they can't wait anymore ; will let you know.
Will also be working on desks, some extra beds and a meeting with teachers;
I AM VERY BUSY!
Keep us in your toughts and prayers! Talk to you soon again!
BLESSINGS AND BEST WISHES! To ko zonga.....!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Father, You are in our daily thoughts and prayers!! You are a testimony of "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Much love and prayers for a safe journey and return. Blessings, Cathy Canto

Barbara S Spinella said...

My goodness you have been busy, the table looks great, nice and long. You did a good job on the water container as well, sooo talented. I loved the part in your blog about your taxi ride, you were doubley blessed it seems. When we come, I may have to bring along some adult diapers for me for those longer journies(ha). I was glad to see that Betty is feeling better, she looks so cute. We look forward to your return and want to hear even more about what's going on there. LOL mama Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hey its yaya Elivia! When I come I would like a toilet with a seat NOT a squatter ha-ha! I cannot wait to see the kids it sounds like they are doing great! It will be fun to meet the new kids too! Send my love and tell them I miss them!
From,
Yaya Elivia