Friday, November 7, 2008

Left Behind

11-6-2008

We got an earlier start this morning, and with only one stop at the cabinet shop, we arrived at the orphanage the earliest we’ve been there to date – 11A.

Several rooms are painted and one room is wired. We’re making progress!!



It was generally a sad day at the orphanage; it was most difficult for some of us as the facts of living in poverty weighed on us heavily. We’ve dealt with the cuts and bruises, minor infections, belly aches, and ear aches, but today seemed senseless in several ways.

First, let me say that this is a harsh land that they have to live in and the kids are brought up without any pampering, forcing them to try and survive – survival of the fittest. Even in a solid family environment, there seems to be little caring or empathy from a U.S. perspective although we know a lot of this is just cultural differences. The orphanage workers, although providing care, do not seem to be concerned with how a child is feeling, but perhaps it’s just that there is no perceived alternative.

Today was hair cutting day and Shantel broke out a razor blade! She proceeded to shave the kid’s heads while they cried whenever a corner would nick their scalp. Literally she held a raw razor blade – no handle, no widget – and shaved their head. While doing so, they ended up with more than a 100 nicks and cuts, and sat there in silence afterward waiting for the pain to subside.

We were horrified and Shannin insisted that they stop - they were puzzled. Shannin asked Gabi why they didn’t just use clippers. He stated that they had never seen a pair of clippers and this was just the way it was. Even if you dismiss the pain that the kids endure, it seems silly to needlessly subject them to infection. Gabi told us that this was the way he received his haircuts growing up, and this was very common even among the middle class. Shannin put her foot down and said she would buy a pair of clippers with batteries so they could resume the hair cutting. Shantel was excited at the prospect of using this new fangled gadget for cutting hair!


While we were there a Mother arrived with 2 small children: Honore’





and his sister Paula. The kids were lethargic and malnourished, and their Mother was an amputee from a car accident that she had been in. She walked the kids in saying that she was there to drop them off – she was leaving them there! We learned that their Father died (from disease) and she could no longer take care of them. There were no tears, no goodbyes, no hugs; she simply dropped them off, signed the needed papers, and asked for bus fare back to the city. The kids were heartbroken, but did not shed a single tear. This was more than Shannin could handle and she broke down sobbing, slapped in the face with deplorable conditions in which there is no alternative.

What seems strange is that with new arrivals, in this situation, you would think that the local Orphanage workers would try and make the new kids feel welcome, but they didn’t. They barely spoke and simply pushed them into the circle of other kids. Apparently they’ll get the basic human needs filled here without the luxury of affection. Since most in this society are religious, we’re going to try and use the examples of Christ to show how he ministered to the heart first and try and change a little of the culture. I realize that we can't, and shouldn't, impose our culture on them, but this seems a universal need that has been lost here.


Honore’ is sick and has diarrhea so Shannin bathed and put some new clothes on him since no one else did. She pushed some vitamins into him, water, and a little food so hopefully he’ll look a little better tomorrow. Paula seems to have had to be independent, for a little while, so she began to respond to her new environment by the end of the day - interacting with the other children.

The word is out – people as far as 40km away have heard that we’re at the orphanage and arrived today to try and sell us some African crafts. It’s crazy in a society, where few have cell phones and there are no road signs, that they would know exactly where to find us.


Tonight must be National Burn Your Trash Night as we went to bed to the smell and smog of burning tires and trash. There is no trash pickup so people burn their trash to get rid of it, and since trash doesn’t burn so well, they’ll use old tires to get the fire hot.



I know we keep talking about the pollution, but you simple cannot imagine it. I’ve tried to capture a picture of it, but it doesn’t do it justice. We are experiencing some respitory distress and could use a little help from the big man upstairs to get us through the remainder of the week. I’ve joked that in order to acclimate, we would need to pick up smoking in the US for a month before we come out here.

16 comments:

momp said...

Know that many prayers are being said to keep you healthy until you come home. Thank you for the pics & the stories behind them. It puts me mentally where you are. So interesting about the apes..so sad about the hair cutting & the children being dropped off without a good-bye. This is 2008 - incredible! May God bless your efforts to make a difference & keep you safe. Love U, momp.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone!
It is finally good to hear from you after days of silence.

You all look tired (especially Doug and Paul) with red eyes and messy hair!

I'm sure you are tired.

It'll be great to see you in a few days.

Keep it up

"Small things with great love."

-David

Anonymous said...

Where did Nyesha's shoes come from? Were they from you all or from CA? or somewhere else?

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Keep your heads up and hearts open. Its very hard to see children in great need, and very taxing emotionally, but know that God has a great purpose for you and them.Your kindness to these children will last a life time. You can't change the parents, but you can help break the cycle with teaching and educating the little ones with love for one another and Jesus to lean on in the hard times.Your doing a great job!

Shannin I cry daily with you.

Love and miss you guys,Terah

Dad S said...

Hey Guys, Oh how I feel for you all, its So bitter and so so very Sweet, you have given us all something we never had before, first hand view of the needs of others in places we only seen on a map.--Keep this in mind what you are doing it FANTASTIC you are bringing hope and a better way of life to people who may have never know the difference. I want to say keep strong but that is not what I’m going to say, I’m going to say be yourself and make things happen. Sometimes when you’re strong you miss the little things that make the difference. ---Keep on making your list of things needed and we will all do our best to make it happen. But do keep yourself healthy. Love to all. Dad S

MOMS said...

So glad we finally have news even though it breaks my heart to think of all the little hurts the children go through "hourly", even the simplest of things like a hair cut is painful. You all are doing such an amazing job there, the Lord will surely bless. Each little thing that's done no matter how small is an improvement in their lives. Life is so hard there that people have to build up a hard suface just to survive I guess. It's very hard to watch, but thank you for being there and helping when you can. Keep a list of all the needs so we can all help where we can. It was cool I bet seeing the baboons. Try to take care of yourselves. We love you, miss you and can't wait for your return, moms

MOMS said...

I need to correct my error: the "apes" were cool(not baboons). I read the blogs in a hurry this morning before I left and when I read them again realized my error. moms PS Shan I feel your pain.

Gustman Family said...

I know that you guys are all getting ready to come home soon. But I am sure that when you get back, home will not quite feel the same to you. An experience such as the one that you are having does not simply go away. You will be changed forever, and I know that change will lead you to continue to do great things.

Our family is so proud of you, and we love to read your updates as often as you can post them (even though they almost always end with Nicole crying).

Try to enjoy your last couple of days. Who knows . . . it may be weeks even months before you go back :-)

Big Sis said...

I feel your pain and literally cry with you as I place myself right next to you! "As you have done unto the least of these, you have done unto Me". You ALL will come back completely changed forever. You have not only touched these children's lives, but they have touched yours, forever. These children are affecting you the way Gods wants you to be affected.

Enough heart felt mush...So when you get home, can I have your theater room, "butt-shaking" lazyboys, popcorn maker, Wii fit, cell phone TV, media player, etc? I figure they would have not meaning for you anymore, since you are used to doing without! Did I get you to laugh a little? Trying to take away the tears!
I know.... picture this....HEY DOLLY DOLLY.... :-) Love you ALL VERY MUCH! April

Ash, Adrian wants your itouch and Ale' wants your surf boards :-)

Teri said...

I am so glad I found this blog! I have been so worried about you dear friends. Please know that your California family, the Maksoudians, are praying for you. I can only imagine how hard things are. I know how much you want to make everything okay for each and every child you see there, but you must know that God can use you in ways you can't imagine. And your efforts are making a huge difference to the people around you, not to mention touching the lives of people you may not even know. I am praying for your safe return and for you to be at peace in the knowledge that you have followed Gods leading.

XOXO to Ash, Rinn, Livy, and Christian from Chloe and Noelle.

We love you! Charles and Teri

Amy said...

David has been keeping me "posted" on what has been happening for you all, but tonight I read the entire blog for myself. I appreciate so much you taking the time to share your experiences, and I understand that this is only a blip of what has been your reality for the past two weeks. As I read, I laughed, I cried, I sighed, I hoped, I was overwhelmed, then I began to dream. What you all are doing, though it may seem like you're barely scratching the surface, is HUGE! Not only are you giving of yourselves, you are bringing an awareness to an entire group of people who never before thought of the children in the DRC. You are planting seeds, sharing passion and spreading God's love. Keep your spirits up! God is doing a great work in you and through you. Blessings, Amy

SuperDorde said...

I finally got a chance to read the blog again. Thanks so much for responding to me guys. I really feel like I'm part of your trip.

I'm flying home on the 10'th also. But that means that I'll be missing you at ORD by one day. (that is if my company buys me a ticket through ORD and not MSP). But then again, you never know. Maybe we'll get snow and I get home a day late. hmmm?

I've been in Mexico, Texas, Arizona, and tonight I'm in Arkansas. I'm heading to chicago tomorrow. Been a busy week for me.

You guys have inspired me tonight. I definitely know that it wasn't an accident I ran into you guys. God is awesome how he brings us all together.

Thanks for keepin in touch with me.

PS. Is Shannin a nurse? She keeps stitchin people up. I hope you know what you're doing! :)

Also, how do you guys know about ADRA? Are they a big presence there? I was raised Seventh Day Adventist and knew about ADRA growing up.

You guys never told me what church you guys go to?

momp said...

Happy Sabbath. Thinking about you this morning & knowing God is with you. Amazing how many lives you have touched & will continue to touch even after you reach our shores again. Looking forward to hearing more...I for one am changed by your experience. Looking at the world with a new awareness. Bless you & see you soon! Love U, momp

MOMS said...

Hope you are having a good day, church was a blessing, missed all your singing though. We'll miss you @ the barn party tonight. Well, your time there is almost over, it will be a bittersweet time for you I know, but we are all looking forward to your return and to hear all the great stories you have to tell and of all the children you've blessed. LOL, moms

Big Sis said...

I thought I would respond to George, in case Shan and Paul do not have internet or electricity.

George, what a small world. We all also grew up and are currently Seventh-day Adventists! I am Shannin and Doug's sister. I was not able to go on the trip! God definately works in strange and glorious ways, having you all meet!

April

kaylene said...

Hey guys,
You are in our constant thoughts and prayers. You were prayed for at church today as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to do the blog. It has been nice to keep up with all that you are doing. We so wish we could be there with you.
I can't imagine how difficult it must be to see what you are seeing. God is using you in big ways. Thank you for the incredible example you are setting.
We love you and can't wait to give you all hugs!
Kaylene